Science and technology on display in the Hutt26/05/2015
Science and technology will be the stars of the show at Hutt City's STEMM Festival in early June.
A six-day festival showcasing STEMM in the Hutt region will take place this June.
The Hutt City Council will present a diverse programme of events and activities from June 2 – 7, 2015.
Aimed at inspiring your people to consider science, technology, engineering, manufacturing or mathematics as a career, the STEMM Festival will raise awareness of the many science success stories within the Hutt region.
Hutt City currently has:
- $473 million of GDP accounted for in high-tech sector business
- The 4th largest number of people in New Zealand employed in medium-high tech manufacturing
- Two Crown Research institutes, two research campuses and two tertiary institutions in Lower Hutt
- More than 3900 full-time employees in more than 825 Lower Hutt businesses in the high-tech sector, and
- 115 hectares of land zoned industrial-commercial, the largest in the Wellington region
- A dedicated multi-agency initiative, Technology Valley Development Group, supporting the vision and growth of STEMM in Hutt City
- A new Science Centre
A range of events are planned for the Festival, but some will be of special interest to science teachers. These include:
Science Starters - all week
Hands on science sessions that engage kids. Running across the week (2,3,5,6,7 June) at various libraries. Free.
Spotlight on Seaview – 3 June
This is an industry open day for year 9-11 students in Seaview. I’m sure you could happily trail along with a group.
Teachers STEMM Education Expo – 3 June
An informal day where teachers can meet organisations linked to STEMM who will showcase their materials and resources for primary, intermediate and secondary students.
Principal’s Day – 5 June
A day for heads of department and principals to come and gain an understanding of the types of careers open to students in local business. They’ll get a clear understanding of what subjects are required study for these jobs and have a chance to talk with local businesses about further programmes e.g. business mentoring.
For more information, visit the official Hutt STEMM Festival website.